BIT Sindri Visit Report, Nov. 18-19, 2017 by Dr Anil Singh
Wishing you all a very happy, healthy, safe, joyous and prosperous new year.
After attending BIT Sindri Global Connect Meet in Dubai on November 11-12, 2017, my wife, Radha, and I visited BIT Sindri on Nov. 18-19, 2017 to participate in BITS Annual Alumni Meeting and, also, to attend various graduating classes anniversary celebrations. Previously we were at BITS in February 2016 and November 2014. I am not exaggerating when I say, बीआईटी कैम्पस का काया पलट हो रहा है। I am attaching some photos (Power Point attachment file). Judge yourself.
Dr. Dharmendra K. Singh, a BIT Sindri Alumni, is the new director. He took the charge in the beginning of 2017. He is dynamic and go getter. Students and faculty morals are up. Infrastructure improvements are progressing well.
With him at the helm, supportive Jharkhand government, and pumped up faculty, I would say, stars are lined up. And, BIT Sindri ke “achhe din” is just around the corner.
Dr. Singh invited Radha and I to stay at Director’s Bungalow. Ramesh Yadava, President BITS AA of North America, also stayed at the Bungalow. This provided us multiple opportunities to discuss many BITS issues. I must say, I was very impressed with his vision about BIT Sindri. He assured me that he would work tirelessly to make BIT Sindri a top tier autonomous technical institute in India, and, we do not have to wait that long.
Now we all alumni need to do our part to help him succeed.
· MOU signed between the University of Aarhus, Denmark and BIT Sindri for technical exchange of students and faculty. Dr./Prof. Ramji Prasad, a 1967 ETC batch pass out BIT alumni, represented the University of Aarhus, Denmark.
· Dr. Singh expressed his desire that at least 3 more MOUs should be signed between top technical world class universities and BIT Sindri in 2018. He needs help from us alumni living abroad.
· In a meeting with the director and head of departments, eight action items/wish list were developed. Topping the list is setting up a central research/testing laboratory that will cater needs of multi-departmental activities.
· Wi-Fi connectivity, Jharkhand Govt. escalated with highest propriety.
· 2 doctors will be posted immediately on BITS campus clinic
· INR 200 crores budgeted for BITS infrastructure improvements such as construction of new hostels, guest house etc., repairs/renovations of hostels, staff quarters, department and auxiliary buildings
· IT building completed, and is now functional
· ~ 30 senior faculty to be recruited from the pool of retired IIT professors for 3 years to address faculty shortage, and to bypass the public service commission
· BITS Arts club students sang the BITS theme song in the annual alumni meet. The song was composed by Ramesh Yadava of BITS AA of North America. You Tube Link: https://youtu.be/WUrVDTwCECQ
· Extensive coverage of events by news media.
· President or designated representative from each of BITS AA chapters will be the member of the executive committee of BITS AA of Sindri (Mother Chapter).
· Shashank Garuryar, Sweta Kumari and their team did a great job of holding another successful BITS Annual Alumni meeting (~700 in attendance). Kudos to them.
· Dr. DK Singh, in addition to being the Director of BIT Sindri, has also been appointed, in-charge Vice Chancellor of Koyalanchal University, Dhanbad. Dr. Singh assured us that his priority still remains to work tirelessly to bring the old glory back to BITS and make it the top tier autonomous technical institute in India.
· Currently there are three contracting companies working. Of these, two companies, working on repairs of hostels and staff quarters, and new construction, have done commendable and timely work.
However, third company, responsible for repairs and improvements of the department and auxiliary buildings, is way behind. The toilets in these buildings are still not functional causing great inconvenience to students and faculty.
Unofficially, I came to know that this third company would be removed by the end of November, and the work would be reassigned to a new contractor.